Monday, January 14, 2008

1/14/08 - Gadalka (poem by Alexander Block)

I set out to record a vocal sample for a tri-borough+beyond famous DJ. Over the weekend, we ran into each other and talked about recording a track inspired by the style of Russian romances. So tonight, musing about this new Vox365 project, I found a book of poetry by Alexander Blok on our book shelf, and this poem sang itself off the page. Ljova pitched in with tasty harmonies, and a song was born. Still in demo stage.

To do: record this song a cappella for sampling purposes. a bit slower? and figure out instrumentation for performance. and work on the English translation! (pretty tricky - the play on words is a mind-twister in this poem - sometimes English vocabulary just isn't supple enough)

UPDATE: Ljova's blogpost on this song.

Play "Gadalka (Fortune Teller)"
Music: Inna + Ljova; Lyrics: Alexander Blok


Download as mp3
Russian-Alexander Blok
Одинокий, к тебе прихожу,
Околдован огнями любви.
Ты гадаешь.- Меня не зови.-
Я и сам уж давно ворожу.

От тяжелого бремени лет
Я спасался одной ворожбой
И опять ворожу над тобой,
Но не ясен и смутен ответ.

Ворожбой полоненные дни
Я лелею года,- не зови...
Только скоро ль погаснут огни
Заколдованной темной любви?
English Transl.DRAFT-Inna Barmash
All alone, I appear before you,
I'm bewitched by the blaze of your love.
You tell fortunes-but don't you tempt me
I myself have cast spells for too long

From the turbulent burden of years
Telling fortunes-my only relief
Once again I divine your tea leaves,
But your fortune is clouded with tears

My days teeming with fortunes of yore
I cling on to those years-don't tempt me...
But can flames be extinguished at last
(of)This bewitching, coal-dark gypsy love?

No comments: